Department of Alsun
The Center of Excellence in Translation & Localization
Audiovisual Translation Summer Training
Duration: 4 days
Date: Sunday 28/7- Wednesday 31/7
Time: 9:30 am – 4:00 pm (total of 24 hours)
Languages of instruction: English and Arabic
- Active translators seeking ongoing training or wishing to update their knowledge
- Language and translation graduates who wish to complement their university studies
- Graduates of other disciplines who wish to broaden or change their employment profile
Capacity: 20 participants
- Dr. Sama Dawood
- Dr. Hanan Sharaf
- Ms. Maha Ashraf
- Engineer Ibrahim Abdul Mawgood
- Engineer Mohamed Ali Fahmy
This intensive four-day workshop on audiovisual translation (AVT) provides a theoretical framework as well as hands-on training in AVT.
The workshop is divided into two modules:
- dubbing and voice-over (from English into Arabic)
- subtitling and fansubbing (from English into Arabic and vice versa)
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify the main principles and techniques of subtitling, fansubbing and dubbing
- subtitle authentic texts from and into Arabic using professional subtitling softwareproduce dubbed Arabic versions of English clips using appropriate techniques and professional equipment
The module covers the principles and conventions that regulate this kind of audiovisual translation. The main steps of the dubbing process (translation, take segmentation, lip synchronization, and acting) will be explained. Dubbing-related concepts such as clip editing and casting, as well as techniques of how to use the microphone in the dubbing studio, will also be tackled. Participants will have the chance to translate and dub short Arabic clips into English. Some tips on how to prepare for voice acting auditions will also be provided. After completing a series of tasks, you will be able to create your own dubbing project.
The module starts with an overview of subtitling and fansubbing. This will be followed by a discussion of the technical time and space constraints of subtitling. Trainees will also learn about different conventions of interlingual subtitling and practice sentence segmentation, time-cutting and translation. The different features of fansubbing will be explained using examples from live fansubbed shows posted on different popular sites for fansubbers. Participants will get introduced to subtitling software and programs most widely used in the market. After completing a series of tasks, you will be able to create your own subtitling project.
Certificate of Completion
At the end of the course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion, provided that attendance has been satisfactory and you have completed your course project.
L.E. 1000 (MIU alumni)
If you are interested, please fill in this form no later than July 7, 2019.