Department of Alsun
Center of Excellence in Translation and Localization
Given Egypt’s position as an important educational and cultural center in the Arab World, as well as its huge potential as a large marketplace for translation and localization, the Faculty of Al Alsun and Mass Communication established the Center of Excellence in Translation and Localization in April 2019. The Center seeks to explore the huge potential of translation technology systems and localization concepts which have recently gained momentum. In addition, it encourages and promotes interdisciplinary research and education.
To establish a state of the art translation and localization center that promotes the modernization of the education and training of highly qualified specialists capable of competing in the professional world at both national and international levels.
To modernize translation education through interdisciplinary research and intensive training, introduce translation technology and software; establish the link between academia and the translation industry; and support lifelong learning.
- Enhance capacity building through training in translation, localization and translation technology.
- Promote research in the fields of translation and localization.
- Address the gap between academia and the translation industry through designing training programs and course material that attempt to bridge the gap between theory and practice and address the market needs.
- Provide general and specialized translation and interpretation training programs for the public, thus supporting life-long learning.
- Enhance networking among higher education institutions and research institutions across Egypt and worldwide.
The Research Unit supports research in the following areas:
- Localization-related research including software engineering and HCI, tools and technology development, cultural aspects, translation studies, human language technologies (including machine and machine assisted translation), project management, workflow and process automation, and new developments in the localization industry.
- Audiovisual translation: dubbing, subtitling, and voice-over.
The Development Unit provides support for the following:
- Building machine translation engines, translation memory corpuses, glossaries, etc.
- Creating a Knowledge Portal to include all the know-how, documentation, reference material, and content of the Center.
- Develops curricula for general and specialized translation, localization, technical writing, languages, and soft skills training modules.
- Trains researchers in new and innovative tools in the areas of localization and translation technologies.
- Supports the training of trainers in the areas of translation and localization.